Securing Visas For Families, Workers And Investors

The attorneys at John W. Lawit have been helping families, individuals and small businesses secure visas for more than 30 years. Immigrants often qualify for more than one type of visa, so per-country ceilings, waiting periods and other factors affect the decision-making process. We can evaluate your situation, explain your options and recommend the type of visa that makes the most sense for you.

Options For Family-Based Visas

Acquiring visas for spouses or family members requires a sponsor who is either a U.S. citizen or a lawful, permanent resident. An Affidavit of Support must be submitted with each family member’s visa application. The affidavit verifies that the sponsor has the economic means to support the visa applicant and holds them legally responsible for providing financial support.

Common family-based visas include:

  • K-1 visa — known as the fiancé visa. The K-1 requires that the applicant has met his or her fiancé in person. The visa holder will become a permanent resident if the marriage takes place within 90 days of their arrival in the U.S.
  • K-3 visa — known as the spouse visa. The immigrant I-130 immediate relative petition is often used instead of the K-3, but the K-3 visa has the benefit of allowing the spouse to work as a nonimmigrant until the permanent resident status is granted.
  • K-4 visa — known as the child visa. Unmarried children under 21 and the children of foreign nationals eligible for K-3 visas qualify for K-4 visas.

Options For Education- And Employment-Based Visas

We assist students, employees and employers of all sizes in acquiring visas. For employees and employers, there are two categories of visas: immigrant visas for those seeking permanent residency in the U.S. and nonimmigrant visas for those who only plan to be in the U.S. for a limited time. Nonimmigrant visas are also granted to students, traveling artists and performers, and exchange visitors. Each category includes several different types of visas based on the applicant’s skill set, education and profession.

Immigrant visas — We assist foreign nationals in acquiring EB-1, EB-2, EB-3 and EB-4 work visas.

Nonimmigrant visas — We help nonimmigrant applicants with more than a dozen types of visas including H-1B, H-1C, H-2B, F-1 and B-1.

Options For Investor-Based Visas

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offers a path to citizenship contingent on investing in U.S.-based companies and creating jobs through the EB-5 visa. This path requires the creation of at least 10 U.S.-based jobs as well as requiring a financial investment. The amount of investment varies based on the employment level in the city where the business will be headquartered and whether that city is in a rural area.

USCIS also offers EB-1 visas based on workers who have “extraordinary ability” as well as E-1 and E-2 visas for workers from countries that have active commerce treaties with the U.S.

Contact The Immigration Attorneys At John W. Lawit

For help acquiring a visa, contact the law offices of John W. Lawit by calling 505-545-6785 or submitting our online form.