Office Location is Irving, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico

Financing Available

Call 214-609-2242

Albuquerque Family-Based Immigration Attorneys

Albuquerque, NM family immigration visa attorney

Lawyers for Family-Based Visas, Green Card Applications, and Removal Defense in Albuquerque, NM

Since the United States provides millions of people with the ability to live in safe communities, multiple types of employment opportunities, the ability to receive a quality education, and a wide variety of other benefits, many people who live in the country will want to do everything they can to help family members in foreign countries with the immigration process. While sponsorship from family members is one of the primary ways that people can receive authorization to enter the country and live there permanently, the process of doing so can be very complicated. To ensure that they submit the correct information and meet all of their requirements, immigrants and their family members will want to work with an attorney who understands the laws that affect them and who has experience submitting visa applications and responding to requests from immigration officials. At John W. Lawit, LLC, our team has helped people from all around the world immigrate to the U.S., and we can provide the legal help your family needs to complete the immigration process successfully.

Assistance With Applications for Family-Based Visas in Albuquerque, New Mexico

While family members may be able to sponsor their loved ones for an immigrant visa, they will need to meet certain requirements when doing so. A person will need to submit an affidavit of sponsorship that demonstrates that they will be able to financially support their family members and ensure that immigrants will not rely on public benefits to provide for their living expenses. A visa application and multiple forms of supporting documentation will also need to be submitted for those who will be entering the country. The types of visas that family members can apply for will depend on their family relationships and the legal status of the sponsor. Family-based visas will generally fall into one of the following categories:

  • Immediate relative (IR) visas - People with U.S. citizenship can sponsor close family members, and in these cases, visas are generally available in unlimited quantities with no waiting period. Qualifying family members include a citizen's spouse, their minor children (as long as the children are unmarried), and their parents (as long as the citizen is at least 21 years old).
  • Family preference (F) visas - While U.S. citizens can sponsor family members who are not considered immediate relatives for visas, and lawful permanent residents can provide sponsorship for their immediate family members, limited numbers of these visas are available each year, and waiting times of several years may apply. F visas are issued based on an order of preference. Adult, unmarried children of U.S. citizens receive first preference. Spouses and unmarried children of lawful permanent residents receive second preference. Married children of U.S. citizens receive third preference. Siblings of U.S. citizens receive fourth preference.
  • Fiancé (K) visas - There are many situations where U.S. citizens may wish to marry foreign citizens who are not currently living in the country. These visas will provide a foreign fiancé(e) with authorization for entry to the U.S., and as long as the couple gets married within 90 days after the date of entry, the foreign spouse will receive conditional permanent residence. After two years, they will be able to apply to have the conditions on permanent residence removed, which will allow them to stay in the country indefinitely.

Since family-based visas are considered immigrant visas, they usually allow people to receive permanent resident status once they enter the country. A green card application may be filed alongside a visa application in many cases, while those who are already living in the country may apply for adjustment of status. Some people who would not be eligible for immigration may be able to receive waivers of inadmissibility if their removal from the country would cause hardship for an immediate family member who is a U.S. citizen or has a valid green card. These include provisional waivers in cases where a person has maintained an unlawful presence in the United States.

Contact Our Albuquerque Family Immigration Lawyers

Our firm provides experienced representation for families in the Albuquerque area, across the Southwest, and throughout the entire United States, and we work with people who originate from around the world and help them address matters related to immigration. To receive assistance with the immigration process and learn how we can help you address any issues that you may face, contact our office today at 214-609-2242.

  • Trust Analytica
  • Best Law Firm
  • Martindale
  • Martindale
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • Super Lawyer
  • Elite Lawyer
  • Best Lawyers
  • Leading Counsel
  • Top Immigration Lawyer in Fort Worth
  • Three Best Rated
  • Three Best Rated 2024
  • Three Best Rated 2023
  • Legal Directorate
Spanish Back to Top