Office Location is Irving, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico

Financing Available

Call 214-609-2242

Irving VAWA Petition Attorneys

Arlington VAWA protection lawyer for abuse victims

Dallas County Immigration Humanitarian Relief Lawyer for Violence Against Women Act Protections

Immigrants who have been placed at risk of harm or who have experienced issues affecting their health and safety may qualify for different forms of humanitarian relief. Those who qualify for these protections may be able to avoid deportation, and they will often be able to take steps to obtain green cards and receive authorization to work for U.S. employers. People who have experienced abuse by a qualifying relative who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident may be protected by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). In these cases, a person can work with an attorney to make sure they follow the correct steps to maintain their legal status and continue living in the United States.

At John W. Lawit, LLC, our lawyers have more than 40 years of experience helping immigrants pursue humanitarian relief and address other issues that affect them. We know what forms and documents need to be filed to ensure that a person can receive protection against deportation and maintain their legal status, and we understand how to address the different issues they may encounter during the immigration process. We believe in advocating on behalf of clients who have suffered abuse to make sure they will be able to continue living in a safe and healthy environment.

Requirements for VAWA Self-Petitioners

In most cases where a person pursues family-based immigration, they will receive sponsorship for a visa from a qualifying family member. However, immigrants who have experienced abuse may not be able to meet this requirement, especially if their abuser is the qualifying relative who would normally provide sponsorship. In these cases, a person can petition for immigration relief on their own behalf.

A self-petitioner may apply for protections under the Violence Against Women Act if they have experienced abuse that is considered battery or extreme cruelty. The following people may qualify:

  • A spouse who was married to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident abuser. A self-petitioner may submit an application while they are still married or within two years after the termination of their marriage due to divorce or death. The couple must have been married in good faith, and they must have resided together in the United States.
  • A child who has been abused by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident parent. The child must have resided with their parent in the United States.
  • A parent who has experienced abuse by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident son or daughter. The child must be at least 21 years old as of the date the petition is filed. The parent must have resided with the abusive child in the United States.

When applying for VAWA protections, a person will need to provide documentation establishing their relationship with their abuser and showing that they lived together. They will also need to provide evidence of the abuse, which may include police reports, medical records related to treatment received for injuries caused by abuse, or court records such as orders of protection. A self-petitioner will also need to submit an affidavit stating that they are of good moral character along with a local police clearance, a criminal background check, or similar records for each location where they lived for at six months or more within the three-year period before filing their petition.

Contact Our Grapevine VAWA Self-Petition Attorneys

If you have been the victim of abuse, you deserve to live in a situation where you can be free from harm without the threat of being forced to leave the United States. John W. Lawit, LLC can help apply for VAWA protections and work to make sure you can live permanently in the U.S. Contact our firm at 214-609-2242. We represent victims of abuse and other types of immigrants in Euless, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Carrollton, Bedford, Grapevine, Irving, Addison, Dallas County, Farmers Branch, and Coppell.

  • Trust Analytica
  • Best Law Firm
  • Martindale
  • Martindale
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • Super Lawyer
  • Elite Lawyer
  • Best Lawyers
  • Leading Counsel
  • Top Immigration Lawyer in Fort Worth
  • Three Best Rated
  • Three Best Rated 2024
  • Three Best Rated 2023
  • Legal Directorate
Spanish Back to Top