Office Location is Irving, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico

Financing Available

Call 214-609-2242

Irving Adjustment of Status Attorneys

Bedford adjustment of status attorney for green cards

Dallas County Green Card Lawyers Helping Immigrants Become Lawful Permanent Residents

People from foreign countries may come to the U.S. for a variety of reasons. In some cases, they may be visiting the country temporarily after receiving visitor visas or student visas, or they may intend to stay on a longer-term basis while working for an employer. After spending time in the United States, people will often wish to establish permanent residence, and this may allow them to be close to their family members and pursue employment or educational opportunities. Those who are currently residing in the U.S. may be able to apply for an adjustment of status, which will allow them to become lawful permanent residents and receive green cards.

Meeting the qualifications for an adjustment of status can be a complex process, and in these cases, an immigration attorney can provide invaluable assistance. The law firm of John W. Lawit, LLC represents immigrants and sponsoring family members or employers in a wide variety of cases, and we can help you understand the requirements you will need to meet to attain legal status as a permanent resident of the United States. We will make sure you submit the correct forms and provide all required documentation during this process, and we will work to address any issues that may affect your ability to receive a green card.

Who Can Receive an Adjustment of Status?

There are multiple different eligibility categories that may allow an immigrant to adjust their status and become a lawful permanent resident. Adjustment of status may be available through:

  • Sponsorship by a family member - A person may be able to qualify for a family-based immigrant visa if an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen submits a petition on their behalf. Family preference visas may also be available for immediate relatives of lawful permanent residents or other relatives of U.S. citizens. Immigrants may be able to apply for adjustment of status at the same time as they file an application for an immediate relative visa. However, a family preference visa will usually need to be issued before a person will be able to apply for adjustment of status.
  • Sponsorship by an employer - A foreign employee may be eligible for an employment-based visa that will allow them to live permanently in the United States while working for a sponsoring employer. Since limited numbers of employment-based visas are available, these visas are issued in an order of priority. Workers who have extraordinary abilities in certain fields are given first priority. Other priority categories include executives or managers or international companies, skilled workers with a minimum of two years of education or experience, and unskilled workers who require less than two years of training or job experience. Once an immigrant visa is available to an employee, they will be able to apply for adjustment of status.
  • Humanitarian relief - Some immigrants may be eligible for adjustment of status to ensure that they can be protected from harm. These include refugees and those who qualify for asylum and victims of abuse or other crimes who qualify for U visas or protections under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

When applying for adjustment of status, an immigrant will need to demonstrate that they have maintained legal status while residing in the United States. If there are any issues that may cause them to be inadmissible to the U.S., they may be able to apply for waivers of inadmissibility along with their application for adjustment of status.

Contact Our Addison Green Card Lawyers

The team at John W. Lawit, LLC can assist with the process of applying for an adjustment of status. We work with immigrants and their sponsoring family members or employers to ensure they submit all required forms and documentation. We can help address any concerns that may arise as a person seeks to become a lawful permanent resident. Contact us and learn how we can help with your case by calling 214-609-2242. We help immigrants obtain green cards and address other legal issues in Irving, Dallas County, Grapevine, Bedford, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Euless, Coppell, Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Addison.

  • Trust Analytica
  • Best Law Firm
  • Martindale
  • Martindale
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • Super Lawyer
  • Elite Lawyer
  • Best Lawyers
  • Leading Counsel
  • Top Immigration Lawyer in Fort Worth
  • Three Best Rated
  • Three Best Rated 2024
  • Three Best Rated 2023
  • Legal Directorate
Spanish Back to Top