Office Location is Irving, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico

Financing Available

Call 214-609-2242

Irving Student Visa Attorneys

Addison Student Visa Application Lawyer

Dallas County Immigration Visa Lawyers Helping Students Receive Authorization to Enter the United States

The United States provides many educational opportunities for citizens and residents, and people from foreign countries may wish to come to the U.S. to study. To do so, a person will need to submit the correct forms, provide certain types of documentation, and obtain a visa that will allow them to enter the United States. In these cases, students will need to understand their requirements, the restrictions that will apply to them, and the procedures that will be followed as they apply for a visa and pursue education in the U.S. An immigration attorney can provide invaluable assistance in this area, ensuring that students follow the right steps to obtain authorization to study in the United States.

At John W. Lawit, LLC, our lawyers understand the requirements that apply to foreign students, and we are prepared to assist with visa applications and address any concerns that may affect a person's ability to pursue an education. With over 40 years of experience in immigration law, we can make sure issues related to immigration are addressed efficiently and effectively. We can answer any questions you may have, advise you on the best steps to take during the immigration process, and work with you to resolve issues that may have an impact on your education and career.

Types of Visas Available for Foreign Students

In most cases, international students will apply for F-1 or M-1 visas that will allow them to enter the United States and study at an approved institution. F-1 visas will allow a person to attend a college or university, seminary, conservatory, high school, private elementary school, or other academic institution to pursue an educational or language program. M-1 visas will allow a person to enter the U.S. to pursue vocational training at a recognized nonacademic institution.

To receive an F-1 or M-1 visa, a student will need to apply for enrollment at an institution in the United States that is approved to participate in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). After being accepted for enrollment, a student will be issued a Form I-20 by the school or institution, and they can then apply for the applicable student visa. To be approved for a visa, a student will be required to attend a visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and they may need to provide certain types of documentation, such as diplomas, academic transcripts, or standardized test scores. They may also be required to provide evidence of how they will pay for travel expenses and the costs of living and show that they only intend to stay in the United States until their course of study is completed.

While a student visa may be issued up to 120 days before the beginning of the educational program, the student will not be allowed to come to the United States prior to 30 days before the start date. During their first year, students are generally only allowed to work on-campus, but in later years, they may seek off-campus employment if it is related to their area of study.

A student who participates in an Exchange Visitor Program may be able to receive a J-1 visa. While these visas may be available to certain high school and college students, other programs are also available for certain types of students. These include physicians who participate in graduate programs at medical schools, interns who are looking to obtain work experience in their field, short-term scholars who consult or lecture at academic institutions, or professors and research scholars who will participate in programs at institutions, corporate facilities, museums, or libraries.

Contact Our Arlington Student Visa Attorneys

John W. Lawit, LLC can assist with applications for student visas, and we can also help students address any immigration issues they may encounter, including determining their options for receiving authorization to remain in the United States on a more long-term or permanent basis. We can answer your questions and make sure you understand the requirements you will need to meet during the immigration process. Contact our firm today at 214-609-2242. We assist with student visas and other types of immigration cases in Bedford, Coppell, Grand Prairie, Euless, Irving, Grapevine, Carrollton, Arlington, Addison, Farmers Branch, and Dallas County.

  • Trust Analytica
  • Best Law Firm
  • Martindale
  • Martindale
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • Super Lawyer
  • Elite Lawyer
  • Best Lawyers
  • Leading Counsel
  • Top Immigration Lawyer in Fort Worth
  • Three Best Rated
  • Three Best Rated 2024
  • Three Best Rated 2023
  • Legal Directorate
Spanish Back to Top