immigration law book

Have DACA? Want to travel? Get your permit and pack your bags!

by | Dec 9, 2020 | Immigration |

If you have DACA, it is very likely that you can apply for Advance Parole.

What is Advance Parole?

It is a process available to some immigrants (such as those with DACA, TPS, and pending adjustment applications) which allows them to travel outside of the United States and come back without putting at risk their immigration benefit. In addition, it allows immigrants to have a lawful entry, which can be very helpful to Adjust their Status and become green card holders.

Who can apply?

If you already have DACA, you must show you have a need to travel for humanitarian, education, or employment purposes.

  • Humanitarian: for example, to obtain medical treatment, see an elderly or sick family member, or attend a funeral.
  • Educational: for example, to study abroad or participate in academic research.
  • Employment: for example, to complete an assignment, or attend a conference or training.
Remember that Advance Parole is still discretionary! This means that USCIS can still deny your request even if you meet the eligibility requirements. If you have ever had a criminal record, prior orders of deportation, or case in immigration court, you should contact an reputable attorney to discuss your case and minimize risks.
Are you ready to pack your bags? Contact our office today for a consultation!